World’s Most Beautiful Bays Club
This NGO was established on March 10, 1997 in Berlin, Germany and is headquartered in Vannes, France. It has been working for the purpose of “tourism promotion and resource conservation utilizing the bay, inheritance of lifestyles and traditions of people living there, and landscape preservation (seascape)”. And it is sponsored by UNESCO.
- It has excellent natural beauty.
- It has rich ecosystem.
- It has economic potential.
- It has legal protection at local and national levels.
- It is complied with World Heritage rating standards
It does not strictly require untouched nature and artifacts in the bay (towns, bridges, lighthouses, etc.) are also evaluated.
It can be a member of this club when you are granted by a meeting of the General Assembly’s Membership Review Committee, based on a field survey by 13 directors (Their term of office is 3 years) elected at the Annual General Meeting.
They have started full-fledged members selection since 2004.
The Most Beautiful Villages of the World
The World’s Most Beautiful Village of the World was founded in 2003 and acquired corporate status in France in July 2012. Japan officially joined on September 4, 2010.
If they wish to join the World Federation, they have to be evaluated their results of activities in their country for more than 5 years and get approval for membership.
They cannot continue to join the federation unless they pass a re-examination once every five years.
- Population should be less than 10,000.
- Two or more regional resources.
- Landscapes created by daily life (traditional townscape: Satoyama / Satoumi).
- Traditional festivals, performing arts, local culture, etc..
- Town development in consideration of beautiful scenery.
- Innovative initiatives for community activities.
- Strictly protect local crafts and lifestyles.